How to apply for planning permission
You can make your planning application entirely online through the Planning Portal by completing the relevant forms, attaching supporting documents and plans and online via a secure link.
There are many different types of applications which relate to planning permission, advertisement consent, listed building consent, together with prior notification applications. Each application type requires a different form and information to be submitted in support of the proposal. Further details can be found on the Planning Portal.
The most common applications are:
- Householder applications – for any proposed alterations or extensions to an existing dwelling, or for the erection of any structures in the garden area of a property
- Outline application - gives an agreement in principle to the proposal, and a further application (reserved matters) is required before work can begin
- Full application - a full set of detailed proposals are required. Once approved, you have permission to start work, subject to complying with any conditions beforehand
- Prior notification applications – permission is already granted by the Permitted Development Order, but some aspects of the development need to be approved by us before work can start
We encourage you to submit your application online through the Planning Portal.
You will need to:
- provide your name and address
- select the relevant planning application type
- upload necessary documents including maps
- provide a location plan. Ordnance Survey Location Plans can be purchased from the Planning Portal
- have a debit or credit card to pay the relevant fee
In addition to the above details you may need to submit a Heritage Statement or a Design and Access Statement, which is a short report to explain the design principles that have been applied to the proposal.
Please note: There is a service charge for submitting online planning applications that attract an application fee of £60 or more. Application fees are to be paid to the Planning Portal by using the payment options that are presented to you as part of the application process and before the application is submitted to the local authority.
Alternatively, you can download a printable planning application form and send it back to us at the address below together with the necessary documents and fee.
If you sign either Landownership Certificate B or C on your planning application form you must complete the Notice to serve on owners/tenants. This is required so the owner or tenant is aware that you have applied for planning permission on their land or property.
Other specific planning applications
A limited number of types of Prior Notifications are unable to be made online and for these you should select the appropriate form and return it to the address below.
Please note: It helps us process your application more quickly and easily if you submit your application fully using either the Planning Portal or the 'Paper Form' method but not a mixture of the two.
If you choose to make an application in a paper format the fees can be paid in the following ways.
The fee can be calculated using the online fee calculator.
For Broadland properties and sites, fees can be paid:
- online at pay planning fee
- by debit/credit card on the phone by calling 01603 430509
- by cheque made payable to Broadland District Council and sent to the address below, quoting your application number (if known) and site address
- by BACS - please quote your planning application reference no. and/or site address:
|Payee||Broadland District Council|
|Acount name||General account|
For South Norfolk properties and sites, fees should be paid:
- by debit or credit card by phoning 01508 533813
- by BACS - please quote your planning application reference no. and / or site address:
|Payee||South Norfolk Council|
|Account name||South Norfolk Council|