Care Leaver Covenant
We are committed to supporting care leavers and upholding the five principles of the Care Leaver Covenant. To help care leavers aged 16 to 25 live independently in our areas we offer:
- exemption from Council Tax for care leavers up to age 25.
- local connection on our Housing Register (Priority Band 2)
- exemption from the shared accommodation of Housing Benefit/Universal Credit, up to age 25.
- care leavers living in South Norfolk can apply for a Leisure Passport to use our leisure centres at a reduced price.
Care leaver friendly employment
As a Care Leaver Friendly Employer, our supported pathway into employment offers:
- Guaranteed interviews for any eligible care leaver who meets role criteria.
- Flexible approach to working, including start and finish times and time to attend appointments.
- Phased hours working approach on starting, with option for up to one month to be worked on a phased start at reduced hours (employee still paid at full rate for contracted hours).
- A supported Induction designed to meet needs of care leavers.
- A Care Leaver Champion based in Human Resources.
- Access to our Help Hub and Employee Wellbeing Resource Centre including Mental Health support.
- Future Paths Internships and Apprenticeship opportunities.
- Full range of benefits available to all staff.
Further details are available on our Human Resources page.
Apprenticeships Norfolk has information on national and local support for care experienced apprentices.
Norfolk Right Direction is the app for care experienced young people in Norfolk. Offers a range of information and advice, with links to local service providers. It is available for Apple or android devices.