Health and safety at work

We provide health and safety at work advice and guidance for a range of businesses in Broadland and South Norfolk. Enforcement activity is taken where necessary and in accordance with the Enforcement Policy and national protocols. 

Our role includes:

  • carrying out inspections of workplaces to promote good practice and make sure businesses keep to the health and safety law
  • providing advice and guidance for employers so they can meet their health and safety obligations
  • giving advice to employees, the self-employed and members of the public on work-related issues affecting health, safety and welfare
  • investigating work-related accidents, certain dangerous incidents such as 'near-misses' and cases of occupational ill health
  • investigating complaints about working conditions and hazards in the workplace
  • registration of skin piercing premises

The regulation of health and safety enforcement is divided between Broadland District and South Norfolk Councils and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

The Health and Safety Executive regulate Health and Safety requirements in the following workplaces:

  • factories
  • farms
  • building sites
  • nuclear installations
  • mines
  • schools and colleges
  • fairgrounds
  • gas, electricity and water systems
  • hospitals and nursing homes
  • central and local government premises
  • offshore installations

Broadland District and South Norfolk Councils regulate Health and Safety requirements in the following workplaces:

  • offices (except government offices)
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants and takeaways
  • leisure and entertainment premises
  • nurseries and playgrounds
  • pubs and clubs
  • museums (privately owned)
  • places of worship
  • sheltered accommodation
  • care homes
  • warehouses

Reporting an accident

Certain workplace accidents, near-misses and occupational diseases involving employees, contractors or members of the public must be reported as part of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR). Find out more about the type of incidents that should be reported and how to report an incident.

Workplace health and safety complaints

If you are concerned about a health and safety issue, you can make a complaint to us or send your complaint to the HSE depending on the type of business your concern is regarding.

Business advice

Good practice in Health and Safety is good for your business, and will help achieve compliance with legal requirements. We are here to help, you can also access useful guidance and toolkits on the HSE website.

Broadland Food, Safety & Licensing Team

Contact details for the Broadland Food, Safety & Licensing Team

Telephone: 01603 430574

South Norfolk Food, Safety & Licensing Team

Contact details for the South Norfolk Food, Safety & Licensing team.

Telephone: 01508 533633