South Norfolk Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Single person discount

If you live alone or you are the only person aged 18 or over you may be entitled to receive Single Person Discount. You must also tell us to remove your Single Person Discount if you're no longer the only adult living in the property at which you pay your Council Tax.

To apply for or remove the discount please use the link below, please note you will need your Council Tax account reference (e.g. 0001234567)

You can also submit this request through My Account.

Full time students

The definition of a full time student is someone who is enrolled on a full time university or college course lasting at least one academic year, attending at least 24 weeks in that academic year and the course involves at least 21 hours study each week during term time.

If everybody in the household is a full time student, a property exemption may be applicable, which means there will be no Council Tax to pay.

To apply for the exemption or discount all full time students that occupy the property need to supply us with a copy of their student exemption certificate, which is provided by their college or university. Documents can be uploaded and sent to us directly via My Account.

Send us an email to apply for a Student Exemption.

Other discounts

If you think that you may be entitled to any of the discounts listed below, please click on the link and request the relevant form making sure you confirm the discount/exemption you wish to apply for, along with your Council Tax account number (e.g. 0001234567).

You may be entitled to one of the other Council Tax discounts if you:

  • have a property that is furnished that is not your main home
  • have a property that is undergoing major works or repairs for a period of time
  • have a property that is empty for a short period of time (for example, between tenants). This is currently for a maximum of 1 month. This means that if you have a property that has been empty for more than 1 month you will not qualify for any further discount from this date 
  • live with people who aren't counted for Council Tax or who qualify for a discount, such as:
  • non-British spouses of students, student nurses, foreign language assistants, apprentice and Youth Training trainees
  • patients residing in hospital
  • people who are being looked after in care homes
  • people with a permanent severe mental impairment
  • people who are staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at school, or have just left
  • certain types of care workers (usually working for charities)
  • people caring for someone with a disability who are not a spouse, partner or child under the age of 18
  • members of religious communities
  • people in prison (if not in prison for non payment of Council Tax/fine)
  • people who benefit from diplomatic privileges or immunities
  • members and dependents of International Headquarters and defence organisations
  • members of visiting forces and their dependents

Apply for one of the above discounts.


An exemption means there is no Council Tax to pay.

If your property is unoccupied it may be exempt indefinitely or just for a short period of time.

Unoccupied property exemptions 

  • empty and owned by a charity (exemption up to six months only)
  • left empty by a person in detention, such as in prison
  • left empty by a patient now residing in a hospital, hostel, nursing or care home
  • left empty by people receiving care or providing care
  • left empty following the death of the owner or tenant, find more information, including a link to the Government's "Tell Us Once" service
  • a dwelling where occupation is prohibited by law, a planning condition or an Act of Parliament
  • empty, awaiting occupation by a minister or religion from which to perform his/her duties
  • left empty by a student who is the sole owner of the property and when occupied it was that person’s main residence
  • unoccupied and repossessed by the mortgage lender and the person responsible is a trustee in bankruptcy
  • a pitch or mooring not occupied by a caravan or boat

Email us to apply for one of the above exemptions.

Occupied property exemptions 

Some occupied properties are also exempt, it depends who lives there.

  • student halls of residence
  • occupied by the Ministry of Defence for armed forces accommodation
  • occupied by at least one resident who is a member of visiting force and solely or jointly liable to pay Council Tax
  • occupied by persons who are under the age of 18
  • occupied by persons who are severely mentally impaired
  • annexe or similar self-contained property occupied by dependent relatives of the resident(s) living in the main dwelling
  • dwellings which are the main residence of a person with diplomatic privilege or immunity

Email us to apply for one of the above exemptions.

Property adapted for a disabled person

If your property has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person we may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill by putting you on a lower Council Tax band. If your property is already on the lowest band we may still be able to reduce your bill. Contact us to find out how we can help.