Council Tax appeals

Appeal against your Council Tax valuation band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) values domestic properties for council tax. This valuation is used to set your council tax band. You might need to contact the VOA if you think your council tax band is wrong.

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do by visiting the VOA website. If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

You can contact the VOA via the contact pages of their website. If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the VOA on 03000 501 501.

Address (for exceptional circumstances only): Valuation Office Agency, Durham Customer Service Centre, Wycliffe House, Green Lane, DURHAM, DH1 3UW.

How to identify Council Tax and Business Rates scams and what you can do to avoid them.

Companies who offer to try to get your Council Tax band reduced

These companies will normally charge an upfront fee for this service. Please be aware that you can appeal against the banding free of charge directly with the VOA.

Appeal against your Council Tax liability

If you think you could be entitled to a discount on your Council Tax or your property is exempt from Council Tax, find out more about discounts and exemptions.

Contact us if you think you are not responsible for paying the Council Tax bill. For example, your property is let to a tenant.

If you wish to appeal against your Council Tax liability email us at or and we will aim to respond to your request in 10 working days.

If you are not happy with our decision you can appeal in writing to an independent valuation tribunal. You must do this within two months of our decision.