South Norfolk Council - Mulbarton & Stoke Holy Cross Ward By-election
28 September 2023
Following the resignation of Councillor Julian Fulcher from South Norfolk Council - Mulbarton & Stoke Holy Cross Ward, a by-election for this seat will be taking place on Thursday 28 September.
The polling day will be from 7am - 10pm on Thursday 28 September, and the count will take place the next day at the Horizon Centre, Broadland Business Park, Peachman Way, NR7 0WF.
Please see below for more information.
The nomination period for this election will commence at 9am on Thursday 24 August 2023. The nomination paperwork is available to download from the Electoral Commission.
All prospective candidates who wish to stand for election must formally submit their nomination to the Returning Officer at South Norfolk Council, The Horizon Centre, Broadland Business Park, Peachman Way, Norwich, NR7 0WF. Nominations can be submitted during office hours (9am to 4pm) from Thursday 24 August and must be received no later than 4pm on Friday 1 September 2023. Please note the nomination form and consent to nomination must be submitted by hand and cannot be submitted electronically or by post. The deadline for withdrawal of nominations is no later than 4pm on Friday 1 September 2023.
The Electoral Commission website contains important information and guidance for candidates considering standing for election, which we recommend that all prospective candidates read.
The deadline for notification of appointment of election agents is 4pm on Friday 1 September.
Applications to register to vote at these elections must be made by midnight on Tuesday 12 September 2023. You can register online by visiting www.gov.uk/registertovote. You can also use this service to update your name, address or other details and apply to change your voting preferences.
The deadline for new postal and postal proxy applications and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes is 5pm on Wednesday 13 September 2023.
The deadline for new proxy vote applications (not including postal proxy) is 5pm on Wednesday 20 September 2023.
The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for use in these elections is 5pm on Wednesday 20 September 2023.
Any persons voting in person at this election will be required to show an official form of photographic identification (ID) before being issued with a ballot paper at the polling station.
Your name on the register must match your name on your identity document. If you have changed your name, you can update your details online by visiting the Register to Vote website.
Accepted forms of ID are:
- a passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
- a driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence).
- a biometric immigration document
- an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
- Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
- a Blue Badge
- a national identity card issued by an EEA state
- an Older Person’s Bus Pass
- a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
- an Oyster 60+ Card
- a Freedom Pass
- a Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
- a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- a Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- a Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- an Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland
If you do not have any of the accepted forms of ID you can apply online for a free Voter Authority Certificate – this is a photographic identity document specifically for the purpose of voting.
You must be registered to vote in order to apply. If you need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, make sure you do so in good time. The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for use at these elections is 5pm on Wednesday 20 September 2023.
How to apply
You can apply for a VAC through the Voter Authority Certificate website. You will be required to upload a photograph of yourself (similar to a passport photo) as part of the application.
Apply in person
Applications can also be made in person at our council offices where our staff can assist with your application and take the required photograph:
- Horizon Business Centre, Peachman Way, Broadland Business Park, Norwich, NR7 0WF. Office hours are 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (Closed weekends and Bank Holidays).
Apply by post
Applications can also be made by post by printing the Voter Authority Certificate Application Form. A passport style photograph is required along with the application form.
Results will be published here after the count on Friday 29 September 2023.