One app with two exciting trails in Wymondham
Bring along the whole family and take part in the Wym Trails AR walking experience. See Wymondham's history come to life through our state-of-the-art interactive heritage trail. Under 12's can meet Henry the Hare and join him on an adventure.
The walking trails have both child and adult versions that can be used in parallel on your smart device. The trail will merge real and virtual worlds, allowing you to view Wymondham as it was in its medieval hay-day through 360 degree 3D imaging.
About the walking trails
Did you know Wymondham is the birthplace of one of the biggest uprisings England has ever seen? That it’s the site of buried treasure and the scene of a gruesome double murder that shocked the nation? Take a walk back in time and discover the secrets of Wymondham – the pretty market town that offers more than meets the eye.
This app contains two different augmented reality trails to help you explore this famous market town, situated just off the A11 in South Norfolk.
- Go to the central Market Place in Wymondham, Norfolk, NR18 0AX.
- For the adult trail walk, start your journey at the Market Place and for the children’s trail start at the Henry the Hare statue in the Market Place.
The walking trails are roughly 2km long and you can run both trails at the same time.
Two trails that take the same route and can both be activated alongside each other so different members of your group can enjoy a different experience!
‘Henry the Hare’ is an AR trail designed for younger children. They go on a quest around the town to help Henry find his lost belongings whilst also answering some quiz questions and interesting facts. Easy to use, fun and informative, this is a great trail for younger children who are supervised by an adult.
‘A Walk Through Time’ is an AR trail that guides you around Wymondham town while enabling you to uncover AR animations, videos, facts and photos that bring to life the stories of Wymondham’s fascinating – and often gruesome – past. This trail is aimed at adults and teenagers.
The trails have been funded through a £116,000 grant from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development.
Please read the instructions below for a guide to your app experience before starting your journey.
Wym Trail Instructions - please read
Please be aware, the app is not compatible with the following devices: iPhone 5c or older, Samsung S5, Samsung Note 4 or older and Motorola G4. This is not a definitive list.
For ultimate user experience, please follow the instructions below for Wym Trails app:
- Ensure your device operating systems are up-to-date
- Download the app at home before you arrive for a maximum experience. The app may not be downloaded at trail location
- Your device will need to have GPS, SIM card or 4G. The app will not work on WiFi only devices as the technology is based on GPS.
- Make sure your device is fully charged and all other apps are closed down
- Start the trails at Market Cross, Wymondham
- Keep the trail open on your device at all times, coming out of the trail may mean the trail ending
- Follow the numbers on the map in the correct numerical order
- To zoom in on the map, please use the plus and minus buttons
- To locate items on the trail, please scan the whole area with your device
- The trail travels in a figure of 8, meaning you will pass the start point again. If your app signals to say the trail has ended at this point, please continue along the trail and app will pick up the next point
- VR headsets are located in both Wymondham Heritage Museum free of charge.
- Please provide feedback on your experience at the end of the trail
- The app is approximately 700MB in size. If your device doesn’t have sufficient storage to download the content for the trails, it will close and display a message to advise you have insufficient storage space. You will need to free up space on your device in order for the app to download
- Enjoy the trails
Troubleshooting and FAQs
The app is designed to work on most modern handsets with GPS, a camera and a compass but the specification of your device will dictate the performance of these experiences ie. higher-end devices will offer greater support and provide a more stable augmented reality experience. Older devices may limit which experiences will work and some augmented reality experiences may be slightly patchy.
The mobile app is designed to work on the following devices:
- Apple iPhone 5s and above
- Most Android phones with Android 6 (Marshmallow) and above
- Tablet devices are not fully supported but should still work assuming they have a built in GPS, a camera and a compass as well as 3G/4G connectivity. Tablets that will work best with the app are Android 6 devices with a 16:9 aspect screen or similar (1920x1080 resolution) and 5th Generation iPads and iPad Pros that have 3G/4G connectivity. Please note, screen layouts may look stretched in places due to the square nature of the screen. Older iPads may work but cannot be guaranteed.
Please be aware, the app is not compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 5c or older, Samsung S5, Samsung Note 4 or older and Motorola G4.
This is not a definitive list. Please note, an early version of the app was available for these devices but compatibility has since been withdrawn.
Users that downloaded an early release of the app will therefore not be able to download a later, improved version of the app.
We recommend running version 1.1.8 or later for the optimum app experience. Please delete any older versions and re-install
Not all areas along the trail are suitable for wheelchair users, but the route can be adapted. Please refer to the Accessibility drop down section below.
It is advisable to download the app before you visit Wymondham. The app can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple or Google Play stores. Please note, the app is approximately 700MB in size. You can download this app through your mobile data if you enough signal, data charges with your provider may apply. If your device has insufficient storage to download the content for the trails, it will close and display a message to advise you of this. You will need to free up space on your device in order for the app to successfully download. The app will run an initial install. You will then need to open the app and download the relevant trail prior to arriving in Wymondham. Please note, the download time will vary depending on your device and internet speed.
Open up the app and navigate to the trail you wish to complete.
Make sure your audio is switched on and keep the app open on your device at all times so it can track your location and alert you of nearby experiences. The alerts will advise you where to head next. Alternatively, please refer to the map and follow the numbered markers.
Battery life on devices is unpredictable and a number of variables contribute to battery performance such as the age and spec of your device. We recommend starting the trail with a fully charged device. Battery life on Apple devices in particular is unpredictable due to the nature of the technology being employed by Apple to achieve the AR experiences (ARKit usage).
When the app launches, you will be asked for certain permissions. You will need to enable these permissions in order for the trail to work. If you experience issues after allowing all of the requested permissions, we recommend you check the global location settings on your devices which may be overriding the app settings.
Your device will require GPS, a camera and a compass in order to run the trails. The app will not work on wifi only devices as the technology is based on GPS. Devices with SIM cards will have higher accuracy in terms of location services which will help the app to accurately detect your location.
Yes, you can use the slider positioned in the bottom left of the screen to zoom in and out of the map. You can also pinch and pull the map.
How can I trigger the experiences? Experiences should trigger an alert based on your GPS location. If the alerts don’t appear to be working, you can manually trigger an experience by tapping the numbered marker on the map when you reach the location. You may need to zoom into the map to tap the marker.
Yes, once you’ve viewed the experience and returned to the map view, you can tap the numbered marker. A ‘Replay’ icon will display top left of the screen. If you tap this, you’ll be able to view the experience again.
This could be due to lots of other apps being open/used at the same time. Once you launch an application, it will continue to run in the background on your device even after you’ve left it. Over time, when you have multiple applications all running at the same time, it will cause your device to lag. The Wym Trails app is processor intensive and will struggle to run alongside a host of other applications. We therefore recommend that you close down as many other apps/webpages as possible before launching the app.
On iPhone/iPad, double tap the main Home button twice quickly (screenshot below). This will reveal all apps/webpages that are currently running in the background. Simply swipe upwards to close each application.
On Android devices, launch the recent application menu (how you do this will vary from device to device). On some devices you may have the option to ‘Clear All’. If not you can manually choose which applications to close by tapping the cross top right of each window.
The app uses your location to alert you of experiences along the trail where there is something to see. Without location services, the app is unable to detect your location and to serve up alert notifications.
After the 5 second countdown, the AR object will be placed into the environment around you. For some experiences, graphics will appear on screen to guide you in the direction of the object. Please scan the surrounding area with your device to locate the AR object. Please note, the stability of the AR object will depend on the specification of your device. Occasionally, if the device is struggling to detect the environment, it may not place the object successfully.
The trail travels in a figure of 8, so you will pass the start point about half way round the trail and you will end the trail close to the start. As the experiences are triggered by GPS, this may mean you will re-trigger earlier experiences or potentially trigger later experiences when you are in close proximity. If your app signals the trail has ended at this point, please ignore the message, refer to the trail map and continue walking towards the next trail point. The app should then continue with alerts as previously.
If you’re enjoying the app, please leave a review on the app store and encourage others to give it a try. Alternatively, navigate to ‘Give feedback’ in the burger menu on the app to provide feedback.