Get It Started Grant
The Get It Started Grant provides funding for individuals or groups that are inspired to bring communities together to form not-for-profit organisations. As long as you can demonstrate the need for your idea and have a clear plan of how the funding will be spent you can apply and we can award funding to the organiser’s account. There is no need for a dedicated bank account or evidence of a constitution.
We are looking to support ideas that:
- encourage residents to come together in positive and supportive ways
- inspire people to get active, participate and fulfil their potential
- promote and support health and well-being in the community
- provide innovative activities that respond to local needs
Cllr Jo Copplestone said “We recognise the importance of supporting small community initiatives in order to address wider wellbeing needs. The Get It Started Grant encourages grassroots initiatives that will inevitably provide support at the earliest intervention possible.”
What can the Get It Started Grant be spent on?
Funding can be up to £300 and can be used for anything needed to get the idea off the ground, and could include equipment purchase/hire, venue hire, promotional materials, transport, etc. You will need to research the costs of your project accurately to apply, and not simply provide general estimates.
Who can apply?
Grants are available to both informal groups of residents (at least three people) and 'formally constituted voluntary groups'. Applicants must be Broadland residents or voluntary groups that work within the Broadland area and are able to meet the following criteria:
- operate within the Broadland district on a not-for-profit basis
- can provide a clear statement of aims and objectives
- can show their ability to manage and deliver the project or activity
- can show how they will manage their finances and keep good financial records
- accept the principle of equal opportunities and can demonstrate their commitment to inclusiveness within their project
You do not need to be over 18 to apply. Groups of young people can to apply too.
Get It Started Grant cannot support:
- retrospective funding (activities that have already happened)
- activities that duplicate what is already provided or commissioned by the council, unless demand cannot be met
- social excursions outside Norfolk
- paid staff costs
- any overseas activity
- activities restricted solely to any group's existing membership
- political or religious activities
- organisational or running costs not directly related to the specific project activities
How to apply
To apply for a grant, complete the Get It Started Application Form and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively post it to: Communities Team, Broadland District Council. Thorpe Lodge, 1 Yarmouth Road, Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich, NR7 0DU.
We recognise that setting up a new group can be tricky for a number of reasons. In addition to funding, the Communities Team at Broadland District Council can help you by providing any advice and guidance you might need. Contact us on email@example.com for further information.
The Get It Started grant is funded by Broadland District Council via the Community at Heart Lottery. Find out more about Community at Heart Lottery.