Housing Benefit/Council Tax appeals
You may not understand our decision regarding your application for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Assistance
You can ask us to explain our decision in more detail by requesting a written statement of reasons, and if you disagree with our decision you can request that we look at your claim again in line with the timescales below:
- Housing Benefit - we must receive your letter within one month of the date of our decision
- Council Tax Assistance - there is no time limit for you to contest our decision, but we must reply to you within two months or you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service
- Council Tax Benefit - we must receive your letter within one month of the date of our decision
How to appeal
You must appeal in writing, detailing your name and address, the reasons why you disagree with the decision and any evidence that you can provide to support your application.
You can appeal by:
- email (BDC/SNC email address)
- post (BDC/SEND postal address)
If you are in receipt of Universal Credits and are unhappy with the assessment, you will need to request it is reviewed via your online journal here.