Pavement licence

A pavement licence allows the licence holder to place removable furniture over certain highways adjacent to the premises in relation to which the application was made, for certain purposes.  Licences can only be granted in respect of highways listed in section 115A(1) Highways Act 1980. Generally, these are footpaths restricted to pedestrians or are roads and places to which vehicle access is restricted or prohibited.

It is important to note the grant of a pavement licence only permits the placing of furniture on the highway. A pavement licence does not negate the need to obtain approvals under other regulatory frameworks, such as the need for a licence to sell alcohol and the need to comply with registration requirements for food businesses.

Application and guidance notes

Guidance notes

Apply for a pavement licence

Pavement licence site notice

What furniture can be permitted by a licence?

The furniture which must be removable and can be used is:

  • counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
  • tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed
  • chairs, benches or other forms of seating
  • umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink


The fee for a pavement licence application is £75 which you are required to pay at the time of submission.  Please call 01603 430488 to pay this by debit or credit card.

Processing and timescales

Applications are open to a ten working day consultation period at the end of which, if no representations are received, the application will be granted.

Licensing Team

Address: Horizon Building, Peachman Way, Broadland Business Park, Norwich, NR7 0WF.