I need extra help towards my rent and Council Tax

Discretionary Payments

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit, or Universal Credit housing costs, but you are still struggling to pay your rent then you can apply for a Discretionary  Payment

  • these are additional payments to top up of your benefit
  • they are normally awarded for a limited period
  • they are paid if you can show you need additional help with your housing costs
  • the money available for us to help is strictly limited
  • each case is considered individually.

You may also be able to get extra help if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax.  You do not have to be entitled to Council Tax Assistance to qualify for this.

Discretionary Payments and Discretionary relief towards your Council Tax are not a benefit, which means that in some circumstances we may not be able to help.

Application form for Broadland Discretionary relief

Application form for South Norfolk Discretionary relief


Find our more regarding each councils Discretionary relief policy