Charitable collections

If you are collecting money or goods, or selling items for charitable purposes in a public place or house to house, you will require a permit.

Street collections

A street collection permit is required for charitable activities such as collecting money or selling items in a public place. If the collection is on private land such as inside a shop, you do not need a permit but will need to obtain the permission of the landowner or the business prior to the collection.

House to house collections

A house to house collection permit is required if you wish to conduct a house to house charity collection, for example collecting bags of clothing for charitable purposes.

Holders of a Home Office exemption certificate do not need a permit to collect on behalf of a charity. The Cabinet Office maintains a list of all certificate holders.

Charitable collections application form

Apply for a street collection

Apply for a house to house collection


Once you have been granted a permit, you will need to complete either a street collection return form or house to house collection return form following any collection that you carry out. This will need to be completed within one month of the collection date and will show the amount received and any expenses and payments incurred.

Regulatory Business Support

Address: Horizon Building, Broadland Business Park, Peachman Way, Norwich, NR7 0WF