Energy Bills Support Scheme

Broadland District and South Norfolk Councils are not able to take applications for the following schemes and should not be contacted for advice on eligibility.

All claimants should apply through the Gov.UK website/application portal. For those that are not able to access this online portal or need assistance completing the forms a designated UK Government call centre has been set up to deal with the application process and all forms of eligibility advice. Please call 0808 175 3287 (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday).

If you have already applied and been advised that we have your application please email us your enquiry.

Energy Bills Support Scheme – Alternative Funding (EBSSAF)

The Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding is aimed at providing support to households who are not eligible for the automatic Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) where a £400 payment is currently being paid in six monthly instalments by energy suppliers (October 2022 to March 2023).

As there are a number of households that do not qualify for the main scheme, the EBSS “Alternative Funding” scheme has been set up to provide a £400 non-refundable payment to these households. No household will be eligible for both the EBSS payment and the EBSS-Alternative Funding payment.

Provided they can provide sufficient proof of address and are not otherwise ineligible, households eligible for EBSSAF include:

  • park home residents
  • housing association, social and private tenants, and leaseholders, supplied via a landlord with a commercial meter
  • partly and wholly self-funded care home residents
  • households in house boats on residential moorings
  • households on a private electricity network, for example those supplied by a heat network
  • off-grid households
  • traveller households on authorised sites
  • households who live in a dwelling on business premises that is used wholly or partly for domestic purposes
  • households in temporary/supported accommodation

To qualify for a payment, the property must be occupied as the applicant's 'sole or main residence' when the application is made. Empty properties and second homes do not qualify for a payment.

Individuals will need to make an online application for the EBSS-Alternative Funding via a Gov.UK portal. A dedicated call centre has also been set up to support householders through the application process, and if required, complete the online form on behalf of the household.

To apply for EBSS Alternative Funding, you should visit Apply for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically - GOV.UK or call 0808 175 3287 (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday).

Alternative Fuel Payment – Alternative Fund (AFP AF)

In addition to EBSS Alternative Funding, households using alternative fuels for heating (e.g. Oil, LPG, Coal, Biomass) may also be entitled to an additional £200 (Alternative Fuel Payment – AF) – those with a direct relationship to an electricity supplier will automatically receive this payment as a credit on their electricity bill, but those without a direct relationship will need to claim through the Alternative Fuel Payment (Alternative Fund).

To apply for Alternative Fuel Payment, you should visit Help with your energy bills: If you use alternative fuels for heating - GOV.UK  or call the designated call centre 0808 175 3287 (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday).