District and Town/Parish elections
District and Parish elections took place in the Broadland District and South Norfolk Council areas on Thursday 4 May 2023.
For further information please see below
Notice of Poll - Broadland District Council
Notice of Poll - South Norfolk Council
If you would like to find out where your polling station is, please visit Democracy Club's Polling Station Finder and enter your post code.
Applications to register to vote at these elections must be made by Monday 17 April 2023. You can register online by visiting www.gov.uk/registertovote. You can also use this service to update your name, address or other details and change your voting preferences.
The deadline for new postal and postal proxy applications and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes is 5pm on Tuesday 18 April 2023.
The deadline for new proxy vote applications (not including postal proxy) is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.
The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for use in these elections is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.
Following changes made under the Elections Act 2022, any persons voting in person at these elections will be required to show an official form of photographic identification (ID) before being issued with a ballot paper at the polling station.
Your name on the register must match your name on your identity document. If you have changed your name, you can update your details online by visiting www.gov.uk/registertovote
Accepted forms of ID are:
- a passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
- a driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence).
- a biometric immigration document
- an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
- Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
- a Blue Badge
- a national identity card issued by an EEA state
- an Older Person’s Bus Pass
- a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
- an Oyster 60+ Card
- a Freedom Pass
- a Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
- a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- a Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- a Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- a Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- an Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland
If you do not have any of the accepted forms of ID you can apply online for a free Voter Authority Certificate – this is a photographic identity document specifically for the purpose of voting.
You must be registered to vote in order to apply. If you need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, make sure you do so in good time. The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for use at these elections is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.
How to apply
The application service for a Voter Authority Certificate can be accessed online at https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate. You will be required to upload a photograph of yourself (similar to a passport photo) as part of the application.
Apply in person
Applications can also be made in person at our council offices. You can visit the following locations where our staff can assist with your application and take the required photograph:
- Thorpe Lodge, 1 Yarmouth Road, Norwich NR7 0DU - normal office hours are 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (Closed weekends and Bank Holidays)
- The Octagon, Mere Street, Diss, Norfolk, IP22 4AH - normal office hours are 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (Closed weekends and Bank Holidays)
- Horizon Centre (annex), Peachman Way, Norwich, NR7 0WF normal office hours are 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (Closed weekends and Bank Holidays).
Apply by post
Applications can also be made by post, to download an application form please visit www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-voter-authority-certificate-by-post-if-youre-living-in-the-uk. A passport style photograph is required along with the application form.
Nomination papers, consent to nominations and home address forms can be delivered between 9am and 4pm on any working day from 17 March – 4 April 2023. The deadline for delivery is 4pm on Tuesday 4 April 2023. Further information regarding the delivery of nomination papers will be included in the Notice of Election.
Up to date guidance for candidates and agents can be accessed by downloading our briefing for candidates and agents document.
The Electoral Commission has also produced guidance for candidates and agents which you can access along with the relevant nomination papers below:
- Guidance for district council elections
- Nomination papers for district council elections
- Guidance for parish council elections
- Nomination papers for parish council elections
Please be aware that the number of subscribers required for local election nomination papers has changed from 10 to 2. Please ensure that you download the new version of the form and do not rely on old copies, which may no longer be valid.
For assistance in completing parish nomination papers, please refer to the Electoral Commission annotated parish nomination paper guidance.
A briefing for candidates and agents was held 20 February. A copy of the presentation slides is available for download
Electoral register statistics organised by electoral area are are available for download, for use in candidate spending returns. Please note that figures are correct as of 27 March 2023.
A list of polling stations in use at this election, which also outlines the electorate as at 1 April 2023 and the polling station number, is also available for download.
Click the links below to listen to voice recordings of candidate's names for the upcoming Local and Town/Parish elections for your area:
Broadland District Council - Local Elections
Broadland District Council - Town/Parish Elections
South Norfolk Council - Local Elections